The New Adventures of Miss Katerina Juan

Friday, January 20, 2006

Best present Ever Ever EVER

Yesterday I received a parcel in the post. Rob, thinking that I was probably bored to death with squirting Ralph Lauren at passers-by (and not far-wrong), had sent me a present to cheer me up. It wasn't until this morning that I had a chance to listen to my new CD - "Wearing Someone Else's Clothes" the new (well only) album by Jason Robert Brown and his Caucasian Rhythm Kings.
Joy oh joy. This (as I had suspected since going to his concert in December...twice), is musical bliss. I don't orinarily like to recomend music to others as I am all too aware of my unusual tastes, but let's put it this way...

I listened to the entire album through twice in one sitting doing nothing other than listening, drinking tea, dancing round the kitchen, and trying not to cry at the very very moving and beautifully melodic "Someone to Fall Back On." "Getting Out" and "I could be in love with someone like you" are comedy genius. There's a gospel section at the end of "Coming Together" that sends not shivers but bolts of lightening up your spine, with impossibly hot vocals from guest singer Lilias White.

Meanwhile, "Music of Heaven", which I can only imagine is written about an experience non-Christian JRB had in church once - is surely the greatest encouragement/motivation/heart-break any worship-leader could get from a song:
"Cynical, cold,
Challenging music of heaven
to open a crack in my chest
and let something glorious in...
...They sing and cry and I watch,
Lean back in my chair,
The classic New Yorker,
Alone among millions,
Indifference upon my face,
Out of place, but longing to feel what you feel...
Dry eyes and cold hands,
Judging and standing apart...
...waiting and wondering
when will it open my heart?...
And I hear you sing Holy Father,
and I want to sing Holy Father,
I need to cry, I need to believe
...and I can say yes!
Let the music begin. "
(extract from Music of Heaven by Jason Robert Brown)

Thank you Bertie, you're a gem.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:32 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Wow!!! Thats beautiful!

     
  • At 6:15 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    Seconded. The words alone sent shivers down my spine.

    I will hunt him down...

    PS: Jason Robert Brown, if you are reading this, worry not - the only gun I have fires foam rockets.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home